Just before Winter CHA I was asked by Core'dinations if I would teach a class for them at a the Retailers' Event at Open Page Wholesalers. They were looking for a class that would feature some of the many techniques that can be done with Core'dinations cardstock. I would need to use tools and other products that Open Page Wholesalers carried as well. I love a challenge so I said, "YES", right away.
On a sad note, I had planned on taking pictures of my kids doing some Easter egg decorating but Ema tripped on a walk home from school and scraped the front of her nose, chin and forehead so bad that I didn't want to risk a Children's Aid investigation but using photos of her. My good friend, Sarah Hough, sent me photos of her daughter, Grace, to use on the layout.
Some techniques from the page:
- the large yellow egg demonstrates tearing to reveal the colour core of the cardstock.
- the medium pink egg shows antiquing - a simple method of scrunching up the paper, smoothing it out and then giving it a light sanding.
- the small pink egg was dry embossed using the new Textured Impression folders by Sizzix.
- the title was created using Basic Grey and Heidi Swapp chipboard letters. The technique was posted on my blog on March 2, 2009.
- the polka dot background of this double layout was created by sanding over top of large base pieces of Lego. This technique was discovered by Michelle Engel, also on the Core'dinations design team.
- the bunny & flower die and butterfly die were enhanced with a light sanding. The Chocolate Box cardstock, used for the bunny's body, is the perfect choice.
- the green border strips were first punched with the Fiskars "Threading Water" punch and then distressed along the other side with the Heidi Swapp edge distressor.
I had an amazing time teaching this class to the group of retailers at the event! Hopefully I inspired them all to head back to their stores and start playing with Core'dinations cardstock in ways they hadn't thought of.Now, if you would like the complete step-by-step instructions on how to make this layout, drop me an email at: email@example.com and I will send them to you in Word format.
If you are local to Woodstock, Ontario, I will be offering this class on Thursday, April 16th, from 5:30pm until 7pm at Eastdale Public School for $10 a person. Core'dinations has donated enough supplies so that I can teach this class to 26 people with all proceeds going to the grade 7/8 Camp Celtic trip. Book your spot by calling Eastdale P.S. at (519) 519-537-2652. If you are unable to attend the class you may also order a kit which comes with instructions and all the supplies you will need. You will need to arrange pick-up though. If you attend the class on April 16th it also includes this "Hoppy Easter" card as a bonus. This card features a cloud making technique which is also featured in the Spring 2009 Issue of Scrapbook & Cards Today (page 56).
Supplies: Core'dinations cardstock (All in the Family), Basic Grey patterned paper and chipboard letters, Sizzix bunny & flower die, Cricut diecut grass (Plantin Schoolbook cartridge), other: sandpaper.